Welcome to Year 2!
In our fantastic class there are 29 children who are taught by Mrs O’Rourke and our 2 Teaching Assistants, Miss McGinn & Miss Fox.
During our final term in KS1 we have lots of exciting things planned.
What better way to begin the term than with an action packed day trip to Coombe Abbey on Wednesday 1st May, where the children will have the opportunity to study the environment, habitats and pond dipping to link in with our themed topics of Plants and Animals and The Seaside.
Other topics planned for the Summer term are :-
R.E: Easter, Pentecost, Our Church & The Mass. During our Year of Faith, we shall also be studying the lives of various saints.
Literacy: Fiction – Poetry, Extended author study with our very special author Alex T Smith!
Non-fiction – Non-chronological reports and recounts.
Numeracy: Problem solving, measuring, money, shape and space, fractions, data handling and the four rules of number.
Science: Plants and Animals and Variation.
Themed work: Developing Geography skills and map work, orienteering and The Seaside.
Art :- Collage prints, observational drawings, clay work and seaside paintings in the style of various artists.
DT :- Plan and make a pizza.
P.E :- Movement, outdoor games and a super tennis taster session!
ICT :- Databases and the use of netbooks.
Music : Seaside songs and percussion.
Other important information
- Teacher assessments will take place over the next few weeks.
- Guided reading will continue to be heard in school.
- Reading books and homework will be sent home on Fridays, to be returned on the following Wednesday.
- The children are free to use the library at lunchtimes to change their own books independently.
- Please provide your child with a named water bottle.
- On very sunny days can you please provide your child with a sun hat and sun cream ( both named).
Year 3 children will be making their First Holy Communion on Sunday 9th June. Nearer the time we shall be asking for your support by providing cakes for their celebration party.
Thank you very much for all your support.
Mrs O’Rourke, J A McGinn & D Fox.